Commis Chef job
An exclusive designer restaurant & patisserie in Johannesburg, South Africa requires the appointment of Commis Chef’s who will be working in a variety of stations in a lower volume however highest culinary level kitchen environment where exclusive fine dining cuisine is offered to bespoke patrons.
He/She is responsible for creating an exceptional culinary experience for the guests through preparation, cooking and food presentation. Takes leadership role during the absence of the head Chef and Sous Chef.
The Commis Chef’s must adhere to all sanitation regulations and requirements and also be responsible for the correct handling and preparation of all food items and equipment.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide the highest and most efficient level of hospitality service to the hotel guests.
- Works in the designated station as set by Executive Chef and/or Sous Chef.
- Able to organise the assigned work area and efficiently put away orders.
- Able to prepare and sells food within recommended time frames to meet Guest expectations.
- Able to operate kitchen equipment like braising pan, baking ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves and fryers.
- Able to produce quality product in a timely and efficient manner for the guests or staff.
- Responsible to maintain cleanliness, sanitation at the assigned work area.
- Responsible for preparing and cooking all food items by the recipe and to specification.
- Prepare ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing food.
- Prepare all menu items by strictly following recipes and yield guide.
- Cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards and food preparation checklist.
- Prepares, seasons, and cooks a wide variety of meats, vegetables, soups, breakfast dishes and other food items.
- Slices, grind and cooks meats and vegetables using a full range of cooking methods.
- Wash and peel fresh fruits, vegetables and also able to weigh, measure and mix ingredients on correct proportions.
- Have general knowledge of cooking temperatures, making soups & sauces, preparing entrees, vegetable preparation and a la carte cooking.
- Set-up the station with par stocks of menu items, and prepare the dishes designated for that station.
- Checks supplies and prep lists and ensures all items are prepped in a timely fashion.
- Replenishes service lines as needed and restocks and prepares the workstation for the next shift.
- Ensures that all products are stored properly in the correct location at the appropriate levels at all times.
- Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods and report any incidents to the Sous Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food.
- Serve food in proper portions on to correct serving vessels and plates.
- Wash and disinfect kitchen area, workstations, tables, tools, knives and other equipment.
- Maintain correct portion size and quality of the food to the hotel's standards.
- Minimise waste and maintain controls to attain forecasted food cost.
- Review status of work and follow-up actions required with the Head Cook before leaving.
- Assists in providing on the job training & development of new cooks.
- Assists other Team Members in the kitchen when needed or perform any other tasks assigned by the hotel management.
- Excellent understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with speed and quality.
- Great personal hygiene and grooming standards.
- Should be able to communicate, read and write clearly and effectively.
High school education or diploma in culinary is required. Basic computer skills and familiar with inventory systems.
One to five years of minimum previous experience required in a high volume kitchen or full-service hotel.
A very good remuneration & benefits offer will be made to the right candidate.
Ad reference : 881 SA
Post on 05/10/2018 by Morgan & Mallet International