Yacht Captain Recruitment and Placement Agency
What is a Yacht Captain ?
A yacht or sail boat captain is responsible for operating and maintaining private vessels for private clients. This may also include recruiting and managing a crew of professional maritime and service personnel.
This role demands extensive maritime experience and training appropriate for the size and type of vessel in question. Captains are expected to have gained solid expertise and held posts of responsibility the industry.
He or she must have an excellent understanding of navigation and a good working knowledge of on board technologies essential to running a modern sail boat or yacht.
The captain is also responsible for some administrative tasks relating to the vessel (insurance, taxes, liaising with local maritime authorities, acquiring permits etc.) and financial requirements (mooring costs, insurance etc.).
What responsibilities does a Yacht Captain have ?
A yacht or sail boat may have multiple responsibilities in a range of different areas. Duties may include:
- Ensuring safe navigation and management of the vessel
- Managing budgets and expenditure relating to the vessel (repairwork and renovation, mooring and administrative costs etc.)
- Supervising the vessel's overall upkeep and maintenance
- Overseeing repairs and moorings
- Managing relations with harbours, ports and docks
- Checking fuel levels and overall security prior to departure
- Managing effective communication with client and meeting client requirements
- Planning journeys
- Organising and preparing the boat for the client
- Organising and conducting regular crew meetings
- Remaining up-to-date and implementing general security protocols
All our Yacht Captains are required to :
- Hold clean criminal records in both their country of employment and country of origin
- Present all certificates and qualifications from training centres and/or schools they attended
- Successfully pass two interview stages
- Provide at least three positive references from previous employers
- Complete professional dossiers containing: CV, cover letter, proof of identity (photocopy or scan), proof of address, proof of the right to work in the country of employment (if applicable), driving license and pay slips from previous professional placements. Candidates should be aware that other documentation may also be required.
Morgan & Mallet International places and recruits yacht and sail boat captains for temporary, seasonal, or permanent contracts. Our recruitment consultants are always available to answer your questions.