What is a travelling Nanny ?
A travelling nanny is expected to care for a client's child(ren) whilst the family is travelling and/or on holiday. This generally requires them to engage, supervise and instruct the child(ren) from morning to evening and on most days.
Care and education are probably the two most challenging and important tasks for parents.
From simply supervising children, to designing and implementing educative activities, personalised leisure plans and investigating local resources, the role of a travelling nanny be broad, challenging and hugely rewarding.
It is essential that while being creative and independent, a nanny also respect and adapt activities and schedules to suit the parents' specifications.
A travelling nanny may also have other responsibilities when travelling, such as cleaning, tidying and cooking.
What tasks could a Travelling Nanny expect to carry out ?
Duties for the children will usually include:
- Supervising them from morning to bedtime
- Bathing and dressing
- Preparing necessary luggage and travel supplies (including medicines, toys, snacks and documentation)
- Organising nutritious, balanced meals and snacks
- Washing and ironing
- Cleaning and tidying bedroom(s), games room(s) and toys
- Collecting and dropping them off to and from nursery, holiday schools and clubs
- Organising children's social events
- Encouraging and stimulating their creativity and imagination
- Helping with homework and projects
- Informing parents on their child’s progress
- Caring for their physical and mental health and well-being (looking them when ill, administering medicine with parental permission, organising doctor's visits, listening)
- Organising fun and educative activities
- Preparing them for special occasions (such as birthday celebrations, Christmas etc.)
- Establishing with parents and upholding routines and schedules (napping, travel arrangements, meal and snack times etc.)
Travelling Nanny responsibilities
A travelling nanny is expected to behave professionally at all times.
All travelling Nannies should :
- Ensure the child(ren) receive(s) appropriate physical, emotional and educative care
- Motivate and encourage the child(ren) to succeed
- Be respectful family confidentiality, act with absolute discretion at all times, avoid divulging information without the employer consent (excepting under legal obligation, i.e. if the child is in danger)
- Be respectful of any family customs, traditions and values
What are the advantages of a Travelling Nanny ?
A travelling nanny will accompany you on family travels and/or holidays and provide the best professional care wherever you are. Regardless of location or how you travel, the nanny will supervise your child(ren)'s activities and ensure their daily routines are upheld, for their comfort and your convenience. By taking away the stresses of organisation and childcare, they allow you to focus on your own relaxation and on enjoying this precious time with your children to the fullest.
What accommodation should be expected for a Travelling Nanny ?
- Live-in contract: a mobile nanny is offered hotel or private living arrangements where the client family is staying.
- Live-out contract: only appropriate when the client family plans to remain in a single location during the period of employment.
All our Travelling Nannies are required to :
- Hold clean criminal records in both their country of employment and country of origin
- Present all certificates and qualifications from training centres and/or schools they attended
- Successfully pass two interview stages
- Provide at least three positive references from previous employers
- Complete professional dossiers containing: CV, cover letter, proof of identity (photocopy or scan), proof of address, proof of the right to work in the country of employment (if applicable), driving license and pay slips from previous professional placements.
- Candidates should be aware that other documentation may also be required.
Morgan & Mallet International places and recruits travelling nannies for temporary, seasonal, or permanent contracts. Our recruitment consultants are always available to answer your questions.