What is a Babysitter ?
A baby sitter is an individual employed to care for children when their parents are away for a specific, usually brief, period of time. They are generally self-employed, work to an hourly pay and would be required to look after children of all ages.
Babysitters are responsible for the children’s safety, hygiene and entertainment. Parents would generally expect a babysitter to interact with the children and organise various activities to keep them occupied.
They may also be required to cook, tidy up after activities and help with the children’s homework.
If the period of employment extends to the evening, a babysitter is generally responsible for ensuring that the child follows its regular bedtime routine at the appropriate time.
Parents also usually stipulate the kinds of specific disciplinary protocols a babysitter should follow when dealing with disobedience.
It is pivotal that the babysitter respect the parents' preferences with regards to the treatment of their child(ren), that they may leave them in total confidence and trust.
What responsibilities does a Babysitter have ?
- Supervising children in their care, ensuring their physical and mental health and safety
- Entertaining, organising games, playing with the children
- Potentially providing educative input and support (supervising homework, conducting certain mental and/or physical exercises, teaching new skills etc.) according to parents' specifications
- Preparing meals and feeding
- Nappy changing, washing and dressing
What accommodation should be expected for a Babysitter ?
- Live-in contracts: not applicable
- Live-out contracts: this is standard practise. Babysitters may, however, be requested to stay late or sleep at the employer's home in exceptional circumstances to be agreed prior to employment.
All our babysitters are required to :
- Hold clean criminal records in both their country of employment and country of origin
- Present all certificates and qualifications from training centres and/or schools they attended
- Successfully pass two interview stages
- Provide at least three positive references from previous employers
- Complete professional dossiers containing: CV, cover letter, proof of identity (photocopy or scan), proof of address, proof of the right to work in the country of employment (if applicable), driving license and pay slips from previous professional placements. Candidates should be aware that other documentation may also be required.
Morgan & Mallet International places and recruits babysitters for temporary, seasonal, or permanent contracts. Our recruitment consultants are always available to answer your questions.