French Pâtissier (French Culinary Qualified) in Johannesburg, South Africa
An exclusive designer restaurant & patisserie in Johannesburg, South Africa requires the appointment of a Head Chef & Pâtissier with French training and/or qualifications and/or experience.
Taking full responsibility for the pasty kitchen whilst working closely with the Executive Chef and Sous Chef. Planning production and developing seasonal offerings in line with the latest techniques and trends.
Responsible for the creation of high quality pastry dishes with the standard recipes and presentation in order to maintain quality and standards and consistency of the products.
A high level of French Pâtissier training & experience is non-negotiable for this appointment.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages all day-to-day operations of the pastry and bakery section of the kitchen.
- Prepare a wide variety of goods such as cakes, cookies, pies, bread etc. following traditional and modern recipes.
- Able to produce all baked goods including but not limited to artisan breads and rolls, muffins, laminated Danish, laminated croissants and doughnuts etc.
- Able to develop, designs, or creates new ideas and items for Pastry Kitchen.
- Create new and exciting desserts to renew hotels menus and engage the interest of customers
- Ensure excellent quality throughout the dessert offerings.
- Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
- Decorate pastries and desserts using different types of icings, toppings etc. and ensure the food presentation will be beautiful and exciting.
- Coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
- Supervise and coordinate all pastry and dessert preparation and presentation.
- Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
- Monitor stocks for baking ingredients such as flour, sugar etc. and make appropriate orders within budget.
- Check quality of material and condition of equipment and devices used for cooking.
- Report all equipment problems and maintenance issues, known safety hazards, or unsafe practices and procedures to supervisor immediately.
- Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
- Must possess a positive attitude and have the ability to work with a variety of people and in cooperation with co-workers efficiently and effectively
- Able to recognize superior quality products, presentations and flavours.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Operates and maintains all department equipment and reports malfunctions.
- Maintains cleanliness and organization in all work areas.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviours.
- Ensure compliance with food hygiene and Health and Safety standards.
- Guide and motivate pastry assistants and bakers to work more efficiently.
- Maintain a lean and orderly cooking station and adhere to health and safety standards.
- Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met for Pastry Team.
- Good knowledge of different types of pastry, dessert, cake decorating.
- Possess professional disposition with good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work a variety of shifts including weekends, days, afternoons and evenings.
- Positive attitude and Good communication skills.
High school diploma or 3 years’ experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area or 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major.
French Educated Culinary Arts.
Minimum of 4 years of experience in pastry cooking or Pastry Chef Experience with high volume food production.
A very good remuneration & benefits offer will be made to the right candidate.
Ad reference 883 SA
Post on 05/10/2018 by Morgan & Mallet International